With everything I tried over 2015, I think I am most excited about all of the great new skincare discoveries that I made. I really did a 360 where my skin was concerned this year as I noticed significant aging that came on due to instant menopause with a hysterectomy at the end of 2014 and another health crisis at the beginning of 2015. I looked 10 years older almost overnight and I had to do something.
It took a series of products and treatments, but I have to say that after everything, my skin is glowing and looking younger and better than it did ten years ago Now, not all of these are new products, but they are new to me. These are my best skincare discoveries of 2015.
1. Botox® - What the heck took me so long? I finally started on the Botox® Cosmetic treatment plan this year at age 47. While I probably should have started 10 years ago, I finally broke down and started getting Botox® injections between my eyebrows, right above my brows to take care of forehead lines and in my crow's feet. I get the injections every three months after figuring out what was best for me (apparently my body metabolizes the toxin pretty quick) and I LOVE the result. My wrinkles have pretty much flattened out where I want them to. Botox® DOES NOT HURT. I go to a plastic surgeons office in my town that has many, many years of experience with Botox® injections and the Nurse Practitioner that does my injections does them all day long. She is amazing and well trained. I do not use numbing cream or ice; I just have it injected. I swear to you, it feels like nothing more than a toothpick prick multiple times very quickly. I get a slight headache a few hours after being injected (completely normal) and that is even getting less and less each time I have it done. Also, the results are better each time I have it done (very common). For those that say they cannot afford Botox® Cosmetic, think of it this way; I pay $450 each time I go, and If I divide that over three months, it's about the price of a fancy coffee each day. It is affordable if you make room in the budget and give up things like the fancy coffee (if you want to). It is not for everyone, but it was for me and something I wanted to do for years.
2. NuFACE® - I am in love with this facial toning device that I started using this fall. I started using the NuFACE® Mini everyday and the results were so amazing that I have moved onto the full-size NuFACE Trinity® with targeted toning attachments. I'm telling you, this handheld facial toning device seriously has lifted and toned areas of my face like my cheeks, brows and jowls. It works by using microcurrents, which is basically soft wave technology. Soft wave technology gently stimulates the skin to improve and gently lift it. You can literally see it working after one use! The longer I use it, the better my skin is toned and lifted.
3. Vitamin C - I added this must have ingredient to my skincare routine in a big way this year. My skin had been dull and sallow and Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that protects the skin as well as lightens and brightens it. I have tried a lot of Vitamin C products and use it in my serums daily. I also try to incorporate into other skincare items like peels and day creams/night creams from time to time. My favorite Vitamin C products include: SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic, Mario Badescu Vitamin C Serum and Paula's Choice Resist C15 Super Booster.
4. Hyaluronic Acid - I've been a fan of this ingredient for some time, but I made it a point to add it into my routine in a lot of ways this year. I read labels (if you don't, please do so) and I make sure that my nighttime moisturizer, serum and eye cream have Hyaluronic Acid in them. Hyaluronic Acid is a powerful ingredient that draws in and retains moisture in the skin. It can add in volume where it wasn't. Some of my favorite Hyaluronic Acid products that I use regularly include GLAMGLOW THIRSTYMUD Hydrating Treatment, Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask, Kate Somerville Quench Hydrating Face Serum, Clinique All About Eyes Rich, L'Oréal Revitalift Daily Volumizing Concentrated Serum and Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream for Eyes.
5. Monthly Facials - So, another one of those, "I can't afford that", but yes I think you can! I decided that I really needed to treat myself and my skin to a lot of extra treatment this year, so I started getting monthly facials. I knew it could benefit from the peels and extra pampering. It's a lot more affordable than you think too as I get monthly facials at Massage Envy. They offer amazing facials and they use Murad products. I adore my esthetician who customized a treatment plan for me which includes a pretty deep peel. This peel has really helped to turnover my skin. And at just $69.99/month when you sign up for a year and pay $59.99 month + $10 for the facial, it's the most affordable facial I've ever had. No, I'm not being paid to say any of this — I just really believe in the affordable service that is seriously changing my skin for the better.
Have you made any new skincare discoveries this year?