Everywhere I turn, I see a new color correcting makeup product pop up. Whether it's a new pitch, being sent to me or on the store shelf, it seems like it is the latest trend. This new trend is actually not so new. Color correcting is a longtime secret of makeup artists to color correct or balance uneven skin. It's really a smart thing to color correct your skin before putting on makeup so skin is flawless.
There are certain colors that you should use to color correct certain problems.
Yellow - Use yellow to correct dullness
Green - Use green to correct redness
Peach/Apricot - Use Peach/Apricot to correct dark circles and spots
Lavender/Blue - Use lavender/blue to correct sallow skin
Pink - Use pink to brighten dull skin
Here are the top 10 color correcting makeup products. With the right product and a little know-how, you will be on your way to neutralizing your complexion concerns: disguise dark circles, resolve redness and dismiss dullness.
1. Urban Decay Naked Skin Color Correction Fluid - Correct imperfections and play up your best features with this innovative, lightweight formula that instantly color-corrects and blurs flaws. Available in five shades to color correct your issue. Buy it for $28 at Sephora or urbandecay.com.
2. MAKE UP FOR EVER Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primers – Perfect for color correcting, these lightweight primers leave your skin looking fresh for hours while they smooth the look of the skin prepping it for makeup. Available in six color correcting shades to target all of your concerns. Buy it for $37 at Sephora.
3. BECCA Backlight Targeted Colour Corrector - These highly pigmented colour correctors contain light reflecting pearls to blur away imperfections as they correct flaws. The formula adheres to the skin so well! It comes in four colours. Buy it for $30 at Sephora and beccacosmetics.com.
4. Smashbox Color Correcting Stick - This creamy stick evens out and transforms the complexion with precision. It is super easy to use. If you are hesitant to start using color-correcting products, this is the one to start with. It is available in four shades. Buy it at Sephora and smashbox.com.
5. SEPHORA + PANTONE UNIVERSE Correct + Conceal Palettes – These exclusive palettes feature a range of expertly-selected shades and full-coverage formulas that address common concerns. Choose from Light/Medium or Medium/Dark. Buy it for $49 exclusively at Sephora.
6. Givenchy Prisme Libre - This color-correcting loose powder takes four shades of color-correcting powders and marries them in one compact to offer skin radiance and luminosity in the perfect customized shade. It is extremely fine and mattifying. Choose from five colors. Buy it for $54 at Sephora, Neiman Marcus or Barney's New York.
7. Marc Jacobs Beauty Cover Stick Color Corrector – Marc’s ingenious portable, twist-up stick comes in three creamy, marbleized hues that can be used all over or to spot treat concerns. Buy it for $42 at Sephora.
8. Lancôme Miracle CC Cushion Color Correcting Primer - This is a unique color-correcting primer that provides buildable weightless coverage that feels like nothing on the skin. Use it all over on for spot corrections. Available in four color-correcting shades. Buy it for $39.50 exclusively at Sephora.
9. Yves Saint Laurent TOUCHE ÈCLAT Neutralizers – The award-winning complexion highlighter is now available as a must-have, color correcting highlighter to instantly cancel and neutralize color imperfections. The one-click brush allows you to the problem with ease! Buy it for $38 at Sephora.
10. STILA Correct & Perfect Palette - This palette is an all-one-palette because it features seven different color-correcting shades that will help to neutralize all skintone imperfections. They are creamy and buildable. Buy it for $45 at Sephora or stilacosmetics.com.