With the official start of summer right around the corner, I wanted to share with you the types of beauty products, along with some recommendations, that you should keep on hand to get you through summer. Summer is a beast! With long hot days in the forecast, your skin and hair are subjected to different elements that they aren't during the rest of the year. Plus your makeup needs to withstand heat and humidity. These are my top 10 must-have beauty products for summer.
1. Light Moisturizer for Summer - It's time to lighten up with your skincare. Unless your skin is extremely dry, you can put away the heavy creams and balms (or at least reserve them for night) and switch it up to lotions or gel-creams. Recommendations: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel, AVEENO Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF 15, Murad Essential-C Day Moisture SPF 30 or Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+.
2. Sunscreen for Face - Even if your moisturizer has sunscreen in it, invest in a sunscreen for your face. Trust me, this is your best weapon of defense when it comes to anti-aging. While you should aim for an SPF of at least 30, I highly recommend seeking out a facial sunscreen with broad spectrum SPF of 50+. Recommendations: Kiehl's Super Fluid UV Mineral Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ and Lancôme Bienfait UV 50+ Sunscreen.
3. Self-Tanner - I know that many of you probably embrace your pale skin and that's great! For those of you, like me, who prefer a bit of a golden glow, there is only one way to get a safe tan these days and that is by using a self-tanner. I have a few great recommendations and I just updated them here: Top Self-Tanners
4. Tinted Moisturizer, BB Cream or CC Cream - I don't know how else to say put away the heavier foundations for everyday, but it's time to lighten up. This breed of product are pretty much all the same, but every brand seems to call them something different. If the product doesn't have any skin care benefit, it will simply be called a tinted moisturizer. The more skincare benefits, it would be a BB Cream then a CC Cream would have the most benefit for anti-aging. Recommendations: IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream SPF 50 (this is my very favorite and I highly recommend this), NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer or Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream. See also: Top 10 Tinted Moisturizers for Summer.
5. Bronzer - I use bronzer all year round to warm up my skin, but I use it now more than ever. Summer is the time of year when you need to invest in a great bronzer for sure. If you are going to be headed out to the beach, pool or doing something strenuous, look for a long-wearing or waterproof bronzer, if not many of my other recommendations will work great. I have my updated list here: Best Bronzers for Summer
6. Waterproof Mascara - Summer is the only time of year that I would recommend using a waterproof mascara on a regular basis. Most mascaras are long-wearing, so you really only need one if you are in true need of something being waterproof. I have multiple posts on my favorite mascara and the best mascara, but I have never done a post on the best waterproof mascara, so I will be sharing one soon. I do have a short list of favorites that I depend on. Recommendations: COVERGIRL Clump Crusher Water Resistant Mascara, L'Oréal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Waterproof Mascara, Too Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara.
7. Frizz Fighter - No matter how diligent you are about smoothing your hair, at some point, the humidity is going to get you. I use an oil every time I wash my hair which helps to cut down on frizz, but also keep a few extra frizz-fighting hair products on hand for those extra humid summer days. Recommendations: John Frieda Beyond Smooth Frizz Immunity Primer and Living Proof No Frizz Nourishing Oil.
8. Hair Mask - To help reverse any damage from the summer heat, sun wind, salt — everything and anything you subject it to by spending a lot of extra time outdoors this time of year, a hair mask is your best bet. I depend on a few hair masks throughout the year, especially in the summer, and have my recommendation here: Best Hair Masks. One mask that I have been using and LOVING that's not on that list, is the brand new Kérastase Nutritive Masque Magistral. This mask intensely nourishes the hair fiber and protects it from drying out further. It contains Kérastase’s Nutritive Irisome Complex which is the powerful nutrition complex that does the nourishing while it creates a shield on the hair surface to provide 72 hours of dryness protection making it so perfect for summer.
9. Lighter Body Lotion - Just as you lighten up on your moisturizer, it's time to put away the thicker body creams too. For my daily body lotion, I convert to AVEENO Daily Moisturizing Sheer Hydration Lotion in the summer. This is the only lotion that my skin can take day in and day out in the summer.
10. Sunscreen - You'll probably be spending a lot of time outdoors and just like wearing a high sunscreen on your face is a must, SPF on your body is essential to protecting your skin. There are so many options, but I have specific demands from my sunscreen. I hate thick, greasy sunscreen lotions and I don't want to feel sticky or have a white cast to my skin. I simply want a sunscreen that glides onto my skin like my body lotion. I am picky and have a tried so many that have made my shortlist. Recommendations: AVEENO Protect + Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen, Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen and Clarins Sunscreen Care Milk-Lotion Spray.
A press sample of the products featured have been provided for editorial consideration. I am an AVEENO Ambassador. All opinions are my own. Affiliate links have been used in the post. Please see disclosure policy for complete information.